IPL Skin Rejuvenation
Even out your skin tone and achieve smother, younger looking skin with our IPL skin rejuvenation system.
IPL Skin Rejuvenation
IPL Skin Rejuvenation is a quick and highly effective way to even out your skin tone while producing firmer, smoother and younger-looking skin. Sun damage, acne and numerous other factors can cause pigmentation, age spots and blotchy, red and uneven skin tones, resulting in a tired, aged complexion.
Our team of IPL and laser experts at Mayfair Aesthetics Moorgate use the advanced Ellipse IPL Skin Rejuvenation system. The treatment works by directing highly controlled pulses of light into the upper skin layer. This light is absorbed by the melanin in the pigmented areas and haemoglobin in the areas of redness. The light is carefully controlled to produce the correct pulse length energy to target problem areas without damaging the surrounding tissue. This results in a quick and drastic reduction in pigmentation, acne, sun damage, redness and can even deal with annoying facial thread veins.
A younger fresher looking you will emerge after just one IPL skin rejuvenation session, although we usually recommend a course of treatments to maximise results.
What Are The Benefits?
- Younger looking skin with more even colouring.
- Reduction or removal of freckles and pigmented lesions.
- Reduces redness and visible blood vessels.
- Reduces oily skin and breakouts.
- Improves Rosacea symptoms
Who can be treated?
We can treat patients with Fitzpatrick skin type 1-3 with the Ellipse IPL system who are aged 18 or over. This treatment is only available at our Pimlico Clinic.
Contraindications (Reasons why IPL will not be suitable for you)
- Recent sunburn
- Unprotected sun exposure or solarium use 4 weeks prior to treatment
- Application of fake tan in 2 weeks prior to treatment
- Light sensitive epilepsy
- History of keloid scarring
- History of skin cancer
- Severe dermatitis or eczema (within the treatment area)
- Active infections
- Roaccutane use in the last 6 months
- Herpes or cold sores (within the treatment area)
- Photo sensitising medication use in the 2 weeks prior to treatment
How many treatments are necessary?
- Treatment of benign pigmented lesions generally requires 1-3 treatments performed approximately every 7-28 days or once all the darkened cells have sloughed off.
- A 70-90% reduction of pigmentation can be expected. Recommended skin care and strict sun protection help to maintain results for much longer. Visible improvements are seen with each treatment.
- Vascular lesions or diffuse redness generally require 3-4 treatments at weekly intervals to achieve the best results. This is so we can progressively destroy the vessels without damaging the surrounding skin.
- Best results are seen 3 weeks after the last treatment.
- IPL Photo rejuvenation treatments will also stimulate the production of collagen and many patients find that their skin feels firmer, smoother and looks clearer after a course of treatments.
What happens during the treatment?
After an initial skin cleanses, the technician will examine your skin and discuss what you would like to achieve from the treatment. Protective eye-wear is worn throughout the treatment. The mild stinging sensation is normal during the treatment as the IPL is administered. After the treatment, a high factor sunscreen is applied and aftercare instructions are given.
How Do You Prepare Your Skin?
- Discontinue sun exposure 4 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Do not use fake tan for the 2 weeks prior to your treatment.
- Use your recommended active skin care and an SPF 30 daily in the 2 weeks prior.
- Avoid any other skin procedures (laser hair removal, peels, microdermabrasion etc) for 4 weeks prior to treatment.
- If you have dark hair in the treatment area, please shave the area around 8 hours before your IPL session.
- If you have a history of cold sores or herpes close to the area being treated, it is recommended that you take antiviral medication before the treatment (This will be available from the chemist).
What Can You Expect After The Treatment?
- Most people will experience a sunburn like sensation that lasts 2 to 5 hours and is often associated with mild to moderate redness. The treated area is generally sensitive to heat for 2 days following treatment.
- After treatment of pigmented lesions, the lesion will go darker sometimes almost black, then will fall off within 7 to 28 days (depending on the area of the body) or it will just gradually fade.
- After treatment of vascular lesions, they will either disappear immediately or appear grey or purplish in colour. Diffuse redness immediately appears redder than gradually lightens within 2-3 weeks. Vascular treatments generally require at least 3 weekly treatments for best results.
- Acne skins may sometimes have a breakout after treatment, due to the bacteria being purged from the follicle.
- A sunburn-like sensation is expected for about 2-5 hours after the treatment. If this is uncomfortable apply cold compresses, aloe vera gel or iced water to the treated area.
- Your skin may be temperature sensitive for around 48 hours after treatment, so warm rather than hot water while bathing, avoid saunas, steam rooms, sunbathing, solarium and vigorous exercise.
- Please protect you skin from the sun, a factor 30-50 sunscreen!
- Do not exfoliate the skin for 1 week after the treatment.
- Do not pick blisters or skin crusting as this may lead to a scar!
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call the practice.
Possible Side Effects and Complications
Unfortunately, there are some potential complications with IPL treatments, these are rare when the treatment is carried out by highly trained technicians. At Mayfair Aesthetics Laser & Skin Clinics we perform a patch test a minimum of 1 week prior to your actual treatment, to allow an accurate evaluation of the skins response. This improves the outcome and significantly reduces potential complications, which may include:
- Prolonged redness and swelling lasting up to 4 days may occur.
- Darker patches of pigment on the skin may occur a couple of weeks after treatment. (this is not the immediate darkening of pigment we expect when treating pigmentation).
- Whiter patches on the skin can occur.
- Blistering very rarely occurs and will usually settle within 2 hours with application of ice. If you do get a blister, it is important that you don’t pick it as it may leave a scar.
- There is a possibility of coincidental permanent hair loss in the treatment area.
Results may vary.
- £120 per treatment (per area)
- Course of 3 treatments £300 (per area)
- Course of 6 treatments £500 (per area)
The 3 areas that can be treated are face and neck front, chest and hands. This treatment is available at our Moorgate Clinic only.
Click on the images below for a close up look at the potential results.